Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Trekking in Savaii, Samoa

Wednesday, October 21 2015

I had envisioned taking a motorboat to an island off of Samoa, but instead it was just a regular ferry like the ones you drive onto.  We had to get up at 5, were at the office at 6, and the ferry at 7.  After getting on it didn’t leave till 8, so we wondered why we had to be there so early.  We arrived in Savai'i, which is actually considered part of Samoa.  It is a larger island than Upolu where we were staying; we learn something new every day…  Savai'i is actually a better tourist destination than the island we had just left as we saw many tourists but unfortunately also more mosquitoes.  The ocean is a beautiful emerald green.  Late in the day Jim actually went in for a minute and he said it was ‘refreshing.’  The view from our room is gorgeous, that is after they moved us to what must be a sort of suite (for here).  Our first room had a broom and dirt on the floor so I began cleaning it.  There were no towels, trash was still in the bins, cobwebs were under the night stand, etc.  So, as I was cleaning Jim came back with a gal who moved us to another room.  It was clean and ready for company, had two more beds in it and even had a rug by the main bed.  Still no TV, but I never have time to watch it anyway, but air conditioning and a shower and so what else does one need? One of the best things about this room was the view of the lagoon.  Internet is only at the restaurant where we had breakfast when we first arrived.  We didn’t even unpack, but worked all day and got back after dinner.


Jim at the end of the dock at our hotel before breakfast.  This is where the cabins are—we are in a normal room in another building down from here, but this is where Jim swam for a minute at the end of the day.  There is a ladder that lets you down to the water.  The water is an incredible emerald green and very clear. 

I have decided that if we really want to do some fun things, we’ll have to plan for it, because we are just too busy and too tired at the end of a day to do anything like snorkel, and it’s a shame, because we can even see tropical fish while standing above the shoreline and gazing into the water.  It would be a snorkeling dream.  But we have to leave in the morning.

Life has gotten more interesting for Jim and a bit more boring for me, but after hearing tales of their treks to spring boxes in the mountains, I am quite relieved not to have been there.  The first spring was worse than the one they climbed to on the other island.  At one steep spot they slid down the mud, grabbing branches that just broke, so they kept on sliding, but at least they didn’t think they were going to die.  Later they went with another group of men, hiked for a while and then began to climb a steep area that had nothing to hold onto.   This in itself was not the worst of it, but if they had lost their footing they could have gone down this steep embankment on one side that was a long ways down sharp rocks and felt that they would have died if they had fallen.  I heard mumblings from Elder Lata who said that he had never climbed anywhere like that before.  Back at the chapel, Sister Lata and I were beginning to get worried because they had been gone so long, but I guess it was a long drive, then a long hike, and then a difficult climb, so it took forever.  After getting back Jim said a thank you prayer for not falling. 

This is the first spring where they slid down the mud and the branches holding them back gave way.  They got a bit muddy.  I think that is the Stake President.

While they were having that adventure I was bored out of my head, listening to the people talk to Mareta in Samoan about something I didn’t understand; they brought me more coconut milk when I was so full I couldn’t stand it, ugh! I took a short snooze; I read a book…
After they got back they fed us the food that Sister Lata told them not to fix, which this time wasn’t so bad because it saved us from getting dinner at the hotel and because I was finally hungry enough to eat it.  Before we arrive anywhere Sister Lata tells them not to fix us food, but they ignore her, saying it is tradition.  It probably has as much to do with trying to make us feel obligated.  Besides the Taro leaf with coconut milk inside (explained in a previous letter), they had chicken, fish soup (I didn’t have that), and a yummy potato soup, and a couple of other things that I didn’t eat.  What I did eat was good.  Nevertheless, I have begun to resent being fed so much and feeling guilty that I’m not all that hungry.  I feel like a bloated fish floating on the water…Jim at least has gotten some exercise, however uncomfortable.

Elder Lata at the beginning of the worst part of the second hike.  It was impossible to take a picture later because they were worried about falling into the ravine, which was a long way down. 

After we got back into the van they were talking about how we had insulted the chief’s ‘talker’.  In Ghana they had a man who talked for the chiefs, so I guess one of the many men there was the ‘talker’.  Unfortunately we didn’t know who anyone was, and since they didn’t bother to speak English, apparently we insulted him somehow…perhaps we got up or didn’t sit there while he was speaking with someone…who knows?  I know that many of them can speak English but don’t, then wonder why we don’t know what is going on or who they are.  Half the time we realize someone is blessing the food and don’t realize it because we just hear talking…in the old days I would have worried about this, but these days I don’t.  They want something from us, not the other way around…and sometimes ‘chief’ people get just a little bit puffed up about themselves and their station in life.  Sister Lata said that it was their fault that they didn’t let us know that he was there and who he was.  But we do hope we didn’t damage the church leaders’ relationship with the chiefs.  After all, they have to live there. 

Well, we must try to get some sleep.  The beds are so soft that they feel like hammocks.  One of the single beds in this room doesn’t feel too bad…I might just grab it before Jim does.  (Later that night not being able to sleep I did change beds, and then slept like a baby).

Till tomorrow.  Love, Mom & Dad, Jim & Karen, E/S Greding


No comments:

Post a Comment